Discovering God’s Direction for Your Life
By Nolen Rollins, President
Board Member of TTI and Grace Global Network
Can You Hear God?
Discovering and engaging in God’s purposes for your life is not a series of “trial and error” experiences. Seeking the best fit venue of ministry for your life by this method is costly and frustrating. After several years of coaching halftimers I have discovered that few followers of Christ really know how to hear God’s voice and discern His direction for life. One of the early steps on the halftime journey is to learn how to confidently hear from God.
What Is Your Personal Experience In Hearing God?
I want to encourage you to explore the following seven questions concerning your personal experience in hearing from God. The best way to process these questions is in an open, honest discussion with a small group of others who are also pursuing the success to significance journey.
- Does God speak to people and give specific direction for life? Defend your position.
2. If you believe God speaks to you and gives you direction, how does God speak to you?
3. If you do not believe God speaks to you and gives you direction, how do you make decisions in life?
4. If God speaks to you, share some illustrations of God speaking to you.
5. Have there been times you can remember that God spoke to you, gave your direction, and you did not obey or follow His direction? If so, how did that turn out?
6. Is there currently something He has told you to do and you have not done it? If so, what is it you believe He told you to do? What are you going to do about that now?
7. Do you have difficulty hearing God’s voice? Do you have difficulty getting clear direction from God? If so, why do you think it is difficult?
How Can You Better Hear God?
The experiences of life are great teachers. Based on over fifty years of seeking to follow Christ and his will for my life, I have discovered the following fifteen principles for hearing God’s direction for my life. I have had the blessed privilege of having Dr. Henry Blackaby as a personal mentor for over fifteen years. I am indebted to Dr. Blackaby for most of what I have listed here.
- Hearing God is based on an interactive relationship with Him.
2. There is no step-by-step formula for discovering God’s will.
3. Direction from God is initiated by God not by me.
4. I must learn to watch for God’s initiation in my life.
5. God’s direction never conflicts with His written Word.
6. Finding God’s will requires having no will of my own.
7. God’s direction for my life requires faith.
8. God’s direction is often revealed progressively.
9. Keeping a spiritual journal helps me understand God’s plan.
10. The on-going revelation of God’s will for my life depends on my
11. Following God’s will brings a crisis of belief.
12. I must adjust my life to follow God’s will for my life.
13. Discovering God’s direction for my life takes time and diligent
pursuit of His will.
14. God speaks specifically concerning His will.
15. Peace comes to me after the exercise of faith.
How Does God Speak To You?
I am sure that there are ways that God speaks to reveal His will and direction for our lives other than the twenty listed here. These twenty are shared from my own personal experiences. Some people believe that God speaks only through His Word, the Holy Scriptures. I believe God speaks to us in many ways but never in a way that contradicts His Word. I also never move forward with direction from God without having that direction confirmed by His Word.
3. Holy Spirit
4. Spiritual Teaching/Preaching
5. Other Spiritual Resources
6. Spiritual Counsel
7. Other People
10. Open and Closed Doors
12. Revelation of Needs
13. God-given Burdens/Passions
15. Signs and Wonders
16. Fleece Tests
17. Prophetic Word
Why Do You Have Difficulty Hearing God?
God is not deliberately trying to make it difficult for you to hear His voice. He wants you to hear, understand, and follow His direction for your life. When God is silent he may be saying wait. At other times when God is silent, there may be issues that He wants you to address. The following list are reasons I have had difficulty in hearing God. If you are having difficulty in hearing God, take time to discover and deal with the reasons for the hindrance.
1. Sin in my life
2. Unbelief/Lack of faith
4. Failure to take enough time to hear God
5. Lack of prayer
6. Lack of Bible reading, study, and meditation
7. Ignorance of how God’s speaks and His way
8. Pride/following my own way
9. Fear of God’s plan for my life
10. Lack of interactive relationship with God
I trust these principles will assist you in discovering God’s will and direction for your life. Remember, God is for you!